Sunday, December 09, 2007

Some Updates

I know, I know, I've been slack with my blogging. For that, I apologise. But I have been busy - honestly. But I hope to start blogging more frequently. So, I thought I'd post what I've been up to - why I've been absent from blogging-land. And also, you'll find a writing update and more. So, here we go.

* Someone stole the cherries from our tree! We had a tree full of beautiful ripe cherries, and on Sunday morning my wife comes storming into the bedroom and wakes me up with: "The cherries are gone! Someone stole all our cherries!" I stumbled out of bed, went outside and sure enough, the tree was bare - only the stems remained. Boy were we pissed. Fortunately, we had already eaten a fair amount of the fruit before the theft, and had a tub in the fridge - but still, we haven't been in our new home for two months, and this is the welcome we get! Whatever happened to the Sunbury of old - back when it was host to the pop festival, when, I'm sure, there was peace and love in the air! I wasn't born then, but I bet no one had their cherries stolen while they were stoned, listening to Queen, Max Merritt, or Billy Thorpe. Ah, how the times have changed.

* Yes, we've moved into our first home (no more renting, yay!). And yes, aside from the cherry incident, it's been great. We've still got boxes to unpack, but the place looks and feels like home. Sunbury's got the best of both worlds - it's country enough to have all the country things like lotsa birds and wildlife (we have a blue-tongued lizard that's made a home by our letterbox; it can be seen almost every day, sunning itself on one of the rocks), while still having the creature comforts like Coles, Safeway, The Reject Shop and, well, another, smaller Coles.

*We got our Xmas tree yesterday. We bought it from Oxfam, who delivered it straight to our door. We weren't sure what quality the tree would be - after all, this was bought sight unseen. It turned out to be a beauty! Tall, bushy. Came complete with that lovely pine smell. Only problem was, it didn't come with a stand, and the one we had last year is MIA. Not a problem, the wife and I thought. Sunbury has many hardwarey type places among its two Coles and cherry thieves. One of them will have a nice sturdy stand to place our lovely, tall, bushy tree in. Wrong. Bunnings - getting them in next week. Home Hardware - ordered three weeks ago, still waiting. Big W, Harris Scarfe, Target (Country) - nadda. Not one place had a Xmas tree stand. Not even the boy scouts, who were selling their trees by the side of the road, had any stands to buy. So, currently our lovely, tall, bushy tree is standing in a bucket, with only rocks to keep it from falling over - as it is, it's got a slight lean. Still, we decorated the tree yesterday and, as the song goes, it's beginning to look a lot like Xmas.

* We saw our German Shepherd puppy on the weekend. She's five weeks old and, I don't mind saying it, she's the cutest damn thing I've ever seen. The breeder bought out all three females from the litter and the wife and I spent an hour watching them play, huggin them, wanting so much to take them all home. Each had its own unique personality, but for puppies they were surprisingly well-behaved. Only two weeks until we can bring little Holly home. I'm counting the days (and hours, minutes...).

* What I'm working on. I'm still working on the 'zombie novel' - tentatively titled 'The Awakening'. Been reading a lot about voodoo, so to whoever stole the cherries, watch out - I've put a voodoo curse on those cherries. The explosive diarrhoea should be starting anyday...

Well, that's about it for now. I'm enjoying writing full-time (more about that in the near future), enjoying the semi-country life, and looking forward to Xmas. Gotta love those bad Xmas movies... (speaking of which, did anyone in Oz catch 'Surviving Christmas' last night? - man, what a steaming pile of excrement that was. What was Tony Soprano thinking?).

Until next time, later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home